Universiti Teknologi MARA Sarawak branch signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with Stoma Sdn. Bhd. on 2 December 2020. This MoA would ensure the commitment of the two parties in partnering and exchanging industry and academic knowledge. Both parties have also agreed to carry out collaborations through joint researches, staff and students exchange, as well as other research-related collaboration as set forth in the memorandum of agreement. The signing of memorandum of agreement Mr. Firdaus Abdullah, the Chief Executive Officer of Stoma Sdn. Bhd. and Prof. Dato Dr. Jamil Hamali, the Rector of UiTM Sarawak Branch. The main objectives of this MoA to carry out, conduct and assess the findings and development of the process and methodology of Biological Treatment Plant (BTP). BTP is a system that is proposed to bring improvement to the surface water quality using biological treatment process. The same system may be applied to improve the quality of water in rivers for river rehabilitation. To add, this agreement also represents further research on the development and improvement to the said system.
Specifically, UiTM shall, without any costs to the Company, –
- a) provide the necessary knowledge, expertise, academic know-how and technical advice to evaluate the process of the said system on its working mechanism and application when necessary;
- b) act as an assessor to the quality of the technology; and
- c) provide general supervision, assess the research and development and facilitate academic findings of the process during the whole period of collaboration
Meanwhile, the Company shall –
- a) provide the facilities and materials needed for the research, experimentation, development of and improvement to the said system
- b) provide funding, costs, expenses and human resources and
- c) continue with its current research and laboratory experiment to develop and improve the said system
Stoma Sdn. Bhd. (Company No. 624208-W) is a local company incorporated in Malaysia and has been registered under the Companies Act 1965, and now deemed registered under the Companies Act 2016. Its registered office is at 387, Sublot 28, Lorong Burung Bunga Api, Taman Hong Leong, Jalan Datuk Amar Kalong Ningkan, 93250 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
The main business activities for Stoma Sdn. Bhd. comprise government contracts within several areas such as on building, structure, infra and water works. Recently, Stoma Sdn. Bhd. has collaborated with UiTM on research development in innovative engineering. The collaboration that started in 2018 has finally materialised with the introduction of River Rehabilitation Technology in treating wastewater.
With the unwavering support from Prof. Dato Dr. Jamil Hamali, Rector of UiTM Sarawak, researches have been actively conducted together with Associate Prof. Dr Juferi Idris, of UiTM Sarawak. Projects likeself-generated electricity system in producing Drinking Water Treatment Plant for rural and off Grid areas in Sarawak, Wastewater Treatment, Re-generated Sewerage System and Palm Oil Mill Wastewater Discharge System are all in the pipeline and will be a reality in the near future.
The Rector of UiTM Sarawak, Prof. Dato Dr. Jamil Hamali hoped that from this MoA, the relationship between the two parties would be strengthened. He added that not only UiTM Sarawak and Stoma Sdn. Bhd. would benefit from the commercialization of the products developed from these researches but it would also most importantly assist the water industry.